Monday, June 27, 2011

Diaper cake tutorial

Well I am a little behind on my posts. I have Stacy's baby shower and baby Dax posts coming up soon.  I have had hardly any time or energy for trips to blog land.  Here is a quick tutorial on how to make a diaper cake.  Who knew making diapers look like a cake could be so fun?!

"Ingredients:"
One large thing of diapers (I bought a 96 pack size 3 diapers)
string or yarn (preferably white)
ribbon (an inch or thicker works best)
bottle (and other accessories if wanted)



First, split the diapers in half.  I used half for the base.  Make sure they are all facing the same direction.  Fan them out around an object.  To make them stand up like this is easier said than done. 

 Then slightly curve the diapers the way they naturally curve. Like so.


Then tie a knot around them.


 I then stuffed some diapers in the spot the bottle was because I needed it for the top layer.  Upon picking the first layer up no diapers should fall and it should generally stay together.  I had the help of an extra set of hands (thanks husby) to ensure it was tight enough.

Now repeat the first step gathering the diapers, except you will now use all the remaining diapers except 8, which will be for the third layer.  This part is harder than the first time.  There is nothing to put the diapers around and less diapers to hold each other up. 


Tie that layer together and stack on top of layer one.

 Now for the third layer I rolled the diapers and tied them individually.  
 Now tie them around the bottle.

 Add some thick ribbon.  I hot glued the end of the ribbon to itself.  This way the diapers are usable.  Or just tie the ribbon around it like I did on the other layers.  



Add buttons, giant clothespins...the possibilities are endless. 



No comments: